DENNIS L. MARTIRE
Born on August 22, 1964, Dennis L. Martire was elected Vice President and Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager of the Laborers’ International Union of North America in January 2002.
His career with the Laborers began in April 1990 as an International Representative for the LIUNA Jurisdictional Disputes Department. Subsequently, Mr. Martire became Assistant Director and then Director of the Laborers’ Construction Department. In March 2000, he became Assistant Regional Manager of the Mid-Atlantic Region and was elected Vice President and Regional Manager just two years later.
Mr. Martire has been the key leader in several successful LiUNA initiatives. He played an instrumental role in the process that gave workers on Fluor-Lane’s expansion of Route 495 Hot Lanes Project a choice on whether to join a union. Those workers voted overwhelmingly to be members of LiUNA Local 11. The election for representation of more than 200 workers was one of the largest union victories on record in the construction industry in the state of Virginia.
He also worked tirelessly with Maryland officials in Montgomery County to pass a prevailing wage law to ensure fair wages for working families. Prevailing wage laws also ensure taxpayers receive more return on their public investments. Numerous studies show that prevailing wage laws do not drive up costs, but facilitate work being done faster and safer.
Mr. Martire also oversees LiUNA’s top-notch training program that provides continuing training for members in order to help them perform their daily tasks more efficiently. Through this training – which is available in a wide range of subjects and specialties – workers are able to advance more quickly in their current careers or start down different career paths.
In addition to managing the Mid-Atlantic Region, Mr. Martire serves on a variety of boards and committees, including:
- American High Speed Rail Alliance Advisory Board
- Blue Ribbon Commission on Maryland Transportation Funding
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA), Board of Directors
- Dulles Area Transportation Authority, Vice President (DATA)
- Laborers’ Health and Safety Fund of North America (LHSFNA), Trustee
- Mid-Atlantic Laborers’ Employers Cooperation and Education Trust (MALECET), Chairman
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Organizing Coalition (MAROC), Chairman
- Performance Management Committee, Committee Member
- Pennsylvania Workforce Investment Board, Board Member (PA WIB)
- LIUNA National Health and Welfare Fund, Trustee (LNH&W)
- Service Contract and Education and Training Trust Fund, Trustee (SCETTF)
- Laborers-AGC Education and Training Fund, Trustee (LIUNA AGC)
- Laborers-Employers Benefit Plan Collection Trust, Trustee (LEBPCT)
- Mid-Atlantic Laborers’ Political League, Chairman (MALPL)
- National Maintenance Agreement Policy Committee
- Trustee to the National Heavy and Highway Alliance
Mr. Martire obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Government at West Virginia Wesleyan College, graduating class 1986. He is a proud member of Local Union #1058, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
His advancement in LIUNA is a testament to his years of commitment and dedication to its members. It is his personal mission for everyone to raise the working conditions and provide all laborers with good paying and secure jobs.
Mr. Martire currently resides in Northern Virginia with his family.